Enjoy this tasty Instant Pot® recipe. Chicken tikka masala is a dish consisting of roasted marinated chicken chunks (chicken tikka) in spiced curry sauce. The curry is usually creamy and orange-colored. The sauce usually contains some combinations of tomatoes, cream and a masala spice mix. Here, we use Greek yogurt instead of the cream.
Prep time: 15 minutes Active cook time: 10 minutes (+ time to come to pressure) Natural release: 10 minutes Serves: 4-6
1 c. Greek yogurt 1 T. fresh ginger, grated 1 t. garlic powder ½ t. ground cumin ½ t. ground coriander ¼ t. cayenne pepper Sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper, to taste 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces 2 T. extra virgin olive oil 1 medium yellow onion, diced 3-4 cloves garlic, minced 1 T. fresh ginger, grated 1 medium jalapeño, finely diced 1 T. tomato paste 1 28-oz container crushed tomatoes 1 T. garam masala 2 t. honey, preferably local ½ c. heavy cream, room temperature 3 T. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped 3 c. cooked brown basmati rice, to serve
1. Combine the Greek yogurt, ginger, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
2. Add chicken to yogurt mixture and stir until coated. Marinate at room temperature for up to one hour or cover and refrigerate overnight. (If refrigerating, set on counter for 30 minutes to one hour before adding to the Instant Pot®).
3. Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot® inner cooking pot and select the “Sauté’ function. Use the “Adjust” button to select the “Normal” (medium) setting.
4. Once hot, add onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeño. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant and the onions are soft.
5. Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, garam masala, and honey. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Push the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button to turn off the Sauté function.
6. Add the marinated chicken to the Instant Pot® and add the lid. Lock the lid into place and set the vent to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” button and adjust to the “High” setting, if necessary. Set cook time to 10 minutes.
7. When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure.
8. To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by add 2-3 tablespoons of the hot liquid from the Instant Pot® to warm it up a bit before adding it to the soup. Stir to combine.
9. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed. Serve immediately topped with chopped cilantro and with some basmati rice on the side.
Live, Love, Chat & Eat